Monday, March 19, 2007

Let’s stop writing boring and tedious academic English. Let’s relax and try some funny and easy English dialogues. Here is a book called everyday English. It is not hard, but the content is practical.

Chapter 1—in the morning

I turn off the alarm clock. I wake up. I stretch. I fold my quilt. I flush the toilet. I jog. I heat up some water. I wash my face. I make some coffee. I spread butter on my toss. I brush my teeth. I rinse my mouth. I shave. I take off pajama. I change into business suit. I comb my hair.
I hear the alarm clock buzzing.
I sprinkle water on the flowerbeds. Potted plant. Ornamental plant. Flowerpot. Weed.
I do exercises. I exercise. I take a walk. I walk my dog in the park.
I yawn. I let out a yawn. I still feel stiff and tired from yesterday’s work.
A bedding. I spread/ lay out/ make up the bedding.
Washroom. Restroom. Men’s room. Ladies’ room. Powder room.
I go into the bathroom. I turn on the faucet. I splash water on my face. I dry my face with a towel. I take a shower and wash my hair.
I boil some water. I put the kettle on the stove. I pour the hot water into a thermos.
Fix coffee. Prepare coffee. Brew coffee. Coffee maker. Instant coffee.
I butter my toast. He buttered his boss up for a raise.
Toothpaste. Cavity. Mouth wash.
Safety razor. Disposal razor. Beard. Whiskers. Mustache.
Undress. Slip off his shirt. She stepped out of her shoes.
I set my hair. I untangle my hair. I blow-dry my hair. I curl my hair.
I make up my face. I take off my make-up. Lipstick. Powder. Lotion. Blusher. Perfume.
I lock up the house. I chained my bike. I bolt the door.
Dispose of trash, rubbish, and garbage. Trash can. Garbage truck. Garbage collectors.
The alarm clock goes off.
The delicious smell of chicken soup is filling the room. My stomach is growling.
I feel dizzy. I am not a morning person. I have trouble waking up this morning. I shouldn’t stay up late.
My face looks awful.
I don’t feel like eating. Coffee brings me around.
The sun is shining. Not a cloud in the sky.
Soap has gotten in my eye. It stings.
My heart is pounding. I cannot quiet my thumping heart.
The rice is cooked.
Smooth out the wrinkles.
Throw out nonburning trash.
My eyelids are heavy. Rub the sleep out of my eye. Still sleepy.
I feel groggy. I feel feverish. I feel nauseous. I feel sick. My body feels heavy.
Night person. I am no good early in the morning.
Oversleep. I have been having insomnia. I have no choice but to get up.
My face is covered with pillow marks. I have poor appetite this morning. I am not in good shape this morning.
Coffee lover. I cannot imagine getting through the morning without coffee. Coffee perks me up. I’ll come around once I had some coffee.
Hurry up. Get a move on. Search for train pass inside purse. Not again.
The window is fogged up.
It is dangerous. That was a close call.
I have to settle for a banana today.
I take off my shoes to change into my sandals before going to the beach to get a suntan.
He locked the safe to protect his jewels which he received from his mother.
It is already time to leave for the airport to catch the plane bound for Paris.
I haven’t ironed the laundry yet.
My eye looks a little swollen.
Gargle with mouthwash.

No comments: