Friday, February 09, 2007

Chapter four

I have learned the APA format; however, I don’t want to use it in my summery because the summery is just written for fun. Furthermore, A happy person should always release his load in order to make life easy.

Chapter two and three are written about the stars, the constellations, and the universe, all of which are beyond my thought, for I can only imagine how the universe is like by descriptions in books. I have never seen a galaxy by my own eyes other than the Milky Way. However, every problem of that kind doesn’t exist because this chapter deals with the air and weather which are very close to me, and I can sense them everywhere.

Firstly, this chapter brings a question that is what is the atmosphere. I will say atmosphere is the ocean of air because that is what I feel. The book scientifically gives definitions of two items which are the weather and the climate. Loosely speaking, the atmosphere is composed of these two items. The weather is the short-term fluctuations of the atmospheric system, whereas the climate is the long-term fluctuations of the average weather. The atmosphere is divided into five layers. I can’t bear in mind these long words, so I give up remembering them. Instead I pick up the character of each layer. The first layer is one nearest to us. All storm, all cloud formations, in fact, almost all weather phenomena appear to occur in this layer. The layer just above the first layer is the second layer of the atmosphere. People reach this layer in balloons and planes. This layer is free of storm and other visible violent weather phenomena. The other three are higher layers with relatively very thin air and low temperature. There are more x rays and ultraviolet rays in those layers radiated from the sun as well.

Sun, air, and water play an important role to form the drama of weather. If all parts of the earth were heated equally by the sun, there would not be much weather to talk about; nevertheless, the sun’s heat is not distribute equally, which thus provides the basic condition to form varied kinds of weather. Air is chilled at the poles and heated at the equator. The hot air rise into sky and the cold air falls to the ground; therefore, hot air rises over the equator and streams toward the poles while cold air from the poles slips down toward the equator. Consequently, a global air circulation is generated. Water is an essential factor influencing the weather. The heat provided by the sun and the fanning by the winds hasten the water evaporation from lakes and oceans. Aloft, meeting with chilly air water vapors condense into droplets which come together and form clouds. There are three kinds of clouds. However, I can only remember two names of them. The highest clouds are cirrus which are composed of ice crystal. The thickest and densest clouds are named cumulus. Clouds of this kind are huge heaps floating in the sky that can results in thunderstorms. Another kind of clouds is formed in a low altitude. Because of this, they usually obscure sunshine and make gray skies.

There are lots of phenomena of atmosphere resulting from complicated mechanisms. I don’t want to explain any more, for my recent knowledge is not enough to expound these complex things. “beats me; I give up; haven’t got a clue; haven’t the foggiest idea.” I learned to say I don’t know. Anyway, thank god to create such an interesting world. Let’s enjoy light, thunder, and tornadoes.

No comments: